Friday, January 13, 2012

My first blooper in South Africa

Today at our first CCC prayer meeting, I was telling my South African friend, Pravani, about how I figured out what "plasters" were for Lily's school supply list.  I thought I was sharing it in context, as we were saying we should have name tags ("plasters") for our next prayer meeting. She looked very confused.  I said, "That's what plasters are right?  Nametags?"  She said "No, for a child's school supply list, they are asking for bandaids!" Lol!  When I picked Lily up from school I explained to her teacher why there was a pack of name tags in her school supply bag...it gave us a good laugh!  She showed me a box of bandaids, and sure enough it said "plasters"!:)
I've been missing my flip flop that broke last week when I was at the Waterfront (maybe that was my first blooper?).  BUT, I was able to sew it back together and I have my favorite flip flops back!  It kind of made me feel like I can fix anything! :)
The rest of our Stinters arrived Wednesday night, and have been adjusting ever since.  Stephanie's bags were lost...until they miraculously came in on the flight that arrived last night!  Praise the Lord!  Besides the Stint girls adjusting to cockroaches and spiders in their new house...all is well!
Lily didn't cry when I left her at school today.  She says she made some friends.  Yesterday I met another mom who has a daughter in Lily's class and is new to Cape Town.  Both her daughter and Lily had asked girls to be their friend on the first day, and both the girls said no!  Sad!  So we introduced our daughters and hope to get together to play soon.
I've been driving more the past couple of days, and am getting more confident!  I'll still be dependent on the GPS though.
Thanks for your prayers and encouragement!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So excited to hear that Lily likes kindergarten, that you're driving, and that you've made some friends! Mia, you are so friendly, I'm not surprised you have play dates lined up already. :) Sending hugs from CO!