Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lily's Spiritual Birthday

I ask Lily every day "What did you do at school today?".  Sometimes she'll tell me who she played with, but most of the time it remains a mystery.  Today was no different.  However, tonight at dinner she exclaimed "Guess what I did at school today?".  We eagerly responded...and she said "I asked Jesus into my heart!".  Wow!  Christian and I had been talking just before that about what God is doing on campus, so we asked her some probing questions to make sure she was telling the truth.  She told us she got finished with her "project" early, so she got to go outside before the other kids.  So it was then that she prayed.  Hmmm...well that's exciting!  Again, after dinner Christian talked to her more about what happened, and asked again if she was telling the truth.  She said yes!  And as I was giving her a bath, I asked about it again.  This time she said a "friend" from another class was outside too.  She's not much into talking to kids she doesn't know, let alone pray with them, so I asked if she was telling the truth.  This time she said "I'm sorry Mom, I'm lying."  Lying about the friend, or asking Jesus into your heart?  She said "Asking Jesus into my heart".  We had just talked about lying yesterday when she took some candy from her backpack, ate it, and still tried to hide it in her mouth when I asked her if she ate the candy without asking.  So, I referred back to why we don't lie.  She was sorry.  It was a bummer to lie about such an important decision!
So tonight before bed we read the kids version of the 4 Spiritual Laws booklet.  It really explains the gospel well and has neat little pictures to go along with it.  She's seen it before.  1. God Loves You!  2. Sin keeps us from God  3.  Jesus is God's only solution and 4. You must say YES to Jesus!  This time she seemed really engaged, as her lie was fresh in her mind.  She wanted to pray the prayer..."Lord Jesus, I need you and I want to have a relationship with you.  Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins.  I open the door of my life and accept you as my Savior and King.  Thank you for forgiving my sins and giving me the gift of you being my perfect Friend her and in Heaven.  Please take control of my life and help me be the kind of person you want me to be.  Amen"  We talked more about what it means to have our sins "washed" away and Christian illustrated our sin by putting honey in her hand and then washing it away.
Tonight her prayer before bed was short and sweet...music to our ears and hearts.  She said "Thank you God for all the ways you saved us by your Son".  Praising God for His love- a gift offered to be accepted, opened and enjoyed...and the new life Lily has in Him!

1 comment:

Leah said...

That's so exciting about Lily..praise the Lord for revealing it to her and her child like faith!!! Miss you guys, Leah