Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Signs and Symptoms

My day included Anya (into day 2 of a temperature), Lacy and Katelyn (while Shannon was on campus), a plumber in our only bathroom all morning searching under our sink for the leak (never found it and am left with a demolished sink cabinet with exposed plumbing), a call from Lily's teacher saying she fell on the playground and looks pale and feels dizzy (loaded the kids and went to fetch her right away), a little recoup time in the sun on my porch, Lily and Anya seeming to be feeling better until our dinner guest arrived and Lily needed to throw up (made it to the same bathroom sink), cleaning up, giving baths, and now contemplating if my stomach is starting to feel "off" or if it's all in my head.

All the while on the campus of UWC...the summer project students had planned an outreach that had an AMAZING response!  They printed of SIGNS about our men's and women's Bible studies that were happening today at 1pm, and stood around campus with them.  Groups of people were coming up and asking questions about it and saying they've been wanting and looking for something like this on campus the whole time they've been there.  One guy walked up to one of our students with a sign and said "What's this all about?"  The summer project student responded "We are here to share with people about who Jesus is".  Then the UWC student said, "Well, aren't you going to share with me?" So he did, and the student said he wanted to "bridge the gap" with God, and would pray tonight!  So, all these conversations are happening, and 1pm rolls around and there are balloons and a big sign that says "Campus Crusade for Christ" Bible study at our meeting location before they head to the class room.  Hoards of excited people are coming up and asking about it!  Our newest Stinter, Kate, was just telling me that she was in the room preparing for the study and in walks 15 South Africans, then 5 minutes later, another 10, then another few...28 new South African students came to women's Bible study today! Women were SO excited to have fellowship and talk about God and assurance of salvation.  A few even came up to Kate and said "I really want to learn how to share my faith, will you teach me?".  Praise God!  Some are new believers, some are seasoned believers...praising God for each and every one of them!  And there were even more who talked to people at the meeting point saying they can't come this week but are going to make sure and clear their schedule to make it next week!  It is so crazy it just makes me laugh!  God has such a good plan and it's so fun to be a part of it! Christian said it was the best day on campus he's EVER had...no wonder!

While I was home trying to make sense of the symptoms of sickness and clogged pipes, I'm so thankful students were reading the signs that brought them to hear the truth of the exciting, joyful, abundant life we have in Jesus!  And I'm thankful the Lord has brought these faith-filled summer project staff and students to come and help!  We have PAGES of names of people who are interested in hearing more.  Who knows how long it would have taken us to gather these students if it had not been for the summer project.  Praising God!

Please pray for healing for Lily and Anya...Lily's seems like the flu.  Not sure with Anya but she doesn't have a fever anymore, praise the Lord!
Pray also that Christian and I won't get it.
Please pray for the Summer Project students as they wrap up their time on campus this week, and leave next week.  Pray that God will let the GLORY they've tasted of the Lord here remain fragrant in their hearts and minds for as long as they live, and that God will continue to use them to bring the good news of the gospel to their friends, classmates, co-workers, and everyone they come in contact with.

Please pray for us...Ironically as Christian was preaching at Pastor Julius's church in the township last Sunday (to many who live below poverty line), I was hearing a sermon at our church about how 13 MILLION people live below the poverty line in South Africa.  That is 13 Million living on $1.25/day.  We were challenged at church to live on $1.25/day for food per person for three days.  We plan to try it next week.  But already, God has been pulling heart strings and revealing my pride as I've been reading what God has to say about acting justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with Him (Micah 6:8).  I judge the poor more than give to them.  I was telling the Lord yesterday as I was walking in the vineyard that I don't want to leave South Africa unchanged.  I was praying for His heart and eyes for the poor.  And after seeing beautiful wild calla lilies on a trail I'd never been on, I ran into this woman and I asked for directions.  We walked the rest of the way together, and I KNOW she was sent to me as a direct answer to that prayer.  Paula is a para legal but spends every weekend with the poorest of the poor.  She taught me so much about those in poverty in just a 20 minute walk than I've learned the whole time here.  She walks/runs in that vineyard often and we exchanged numbers.  PLUS, she goes to hip hop class (I have been wanting to find one)...God knows every desire of our heart!:) I feel so blessed by another new friend from whom I have so much to learn!  I love how God brings everything together that He wants to teach me!   Anyway, the prayer request is that we would follow Jesus and respond in love to everyone we see and meet, and that He would continue to reveal the areas of our hearts that get in the way of that.  Thank you!
       

No comments: