Monday, August 27, 2012

100 Days

We only have 100 days left in South Africa (the only reason I know is because Christian is doing a photo a day count on Facebook:)).  On one hand it feels like we've been here a long time, since we've experienced so much!  On the other hand, time is going so quickly!  I've been very aware of all the things we are going to miss when we go home...I'll make that list at a closer date:)  We've just really had an amazing year so far.  I've been blown away by the Lord~ that He didn't just call us here to reach college students...he called us here to do a work in our own hearts and lives, as well as in Lily and Anya's!  They have grown and learned so much, and I'm so grateful for the experiences the Lord has led us into that has allowed me to know and understand them so much more!  Lily is so much more self aware and expresses her thoughts and feelings so clearly.  She asks me such deep and intentional questions.  The other day we were talking about the people we see begging on the streets each day.  I've started carrying apples in the car to give to beggars at the stop lights.  It was dumping rain, and the man took the apple and put it in his pocket.  Lily was so concerned that he put it in his "dirty pocket"...and I explained a little bit more of the probable reality of his situation.  So then she started asking how people end up on the street, and what she would do if it were her.  She keeps me on my toes!  Anya really enjoys learning, and has grown as an artist as she looks up to her sister...she has gone from scribbles at the beginning of the year to coloring very precisely in the lines.  She loves to laugh, joke, make up cute little songs and go on adventures.  I've enjoyed our mornings together!

Something God has continued to reveal to me in my time here is my passion for counseling.  God has used counseling so profoundly in my own life.  I'm a firm believer that we are all broken and don't need to hit absolute bottom before getting help.  As a "discipler" or mentor in students' lives, I don't see myself as a counselor.  But there are many times I wish I had more tools or training to help navigate through our brokenness.  So when my South African friend, Lauren, told me about the FREE Christian counseling course she was going to take, I was beyond excited!  A course that is basically work at your own pace (take and exam when you are finished with the material within a year), correspondence, Biblically sound, FREE, I can take it with a friend, and God just set it in my lap.  I came home from the one day seminar and was totally energized!  I'm blown away by God's intentionality in our lives.  He knows me so well! I'm not surprised...just SO grateful!

Here are some pics from this month.  The ballet class went pretty well.  Lily was slow to participate, but in her prayer that night I found out why.  She prayed "God, please help me to be a beautiful ballerina"  I asked her about it and she said "Mom, I am a good artist, but not a good ballerina".  I'm afraid she gets this from me...she wants to be good at something before she tries it.  And she just doesn't want to look silly or feel embarrassed.  Of course!  Who does? But for her she seems to feel it so much deeper (I've learned from the Highly Sensitive Child book).  Pray that she will continue to gain confidence, love who God has made her to be, and take steps of faith to learn and try new things!





A rainy Saturday spent at the South African Museum and Planetarium in Cape Town with our friends the Janse van Rensburgs.  Anya's little twin in this pic is Arden :)  He is also 3 years.

Catherine, Ernst, Arden and little Nina


We enjoyed some delicious cheeseburgers and milk shakes at Royal Eatery on Long Street.  A good taste of home!

Another fun Saturday with our friends, the McGills.  Went for a little hike on Tygerburg Mountain.

Lauren, Jono, Amelia (met in Lily's Soetlief class), and JoJo 


No comments: