Sunday, August 19, 2012

A South African Blooper

Every Wednesday we go to small group hosted and led by our friends Ernst and Catherine.  Each week we leave refreshed and encouraged.  This week for dinner (another perk of small group) we were asked to bring a filling for wraps (chicken, beef, cheese, etc), and a salad (lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, sprouts, etc)...it was worded just like that.  I thought "Wow!  We are going to have a lot of salad if everyone brings one, but sounds great!"  We brought feta for our filling, and a spinach salad with tomatoes and carrots just as had been suggested.  Upon arrival, I noticed that no one else had brought a salad.  Once we started eating, it dawned on me..."salad" meant "veggie".  I laughed and admitted my confusion to the group, and they laughed with me, commenting that I was the only one who brought "leaves" (spinach), so it was a good thing!  I learn something new every day!  Lol!
Here are some other terms I've learned...
"Alice band"= head band
"jersey"= jacket/hoodie
"I'm keen"= I'm interested in/up for
"pitch" (ex. I'm not sure if they'll pitch)= show up/come
"fetch" (I'm going to fetch Lily from school)= pick up/go get
"pudding"= dessert
"baie dankie" (buy a donkey)= thank you very much (in Afrikaans)
I've got it "sorted"= all worked out
"lounge"= living room
"hooting"= honking
"costume"= swim suit

We are almost all in good health again!  Praise God!  Christian had the flu bug that the girls had had last week, but was still able to go to campus.  Thank you for praying...please continue!  There are a lot of viruses going around this winter!  We've had many rainy days, but also some beautiful glimpses of spring.  We headed up the coast to Hermanus last weekend to go whale watching...and we saw some!  Christian saw one come out of the water and splash on his back!  The girls liked seeing them, but lost interest quickly.:)  Next weekend we hope to go see the wild flowers in full bloom.  Praying for sun!
Anya is excited to finally be in a class...and a "ballerina" class at that!  My friend Louise has agreed to teach Lily, Anya, Lacy, Katelyn and her own daughter, Ariella, ballet once a week in her "lounge".  She does a beautiful job and is a ballerina herself!  Anya just can't wait!  And Lily has some of her desire to dance back...she hasn't wanted to dance for a long time, but I got her a new leotard, and she's been inspired to learn again!  She's also been anxiously anticipating her 6th birthday, coming up September 6th (her golden birthday!).  Thankfully the school sends home this Child magazine each month, and there was an issue completely devoted to birthdays!  We're talking 13 pages of listings; accessories and services, animal parties, arts and crafts parties, cakes and catering, cooking parties, educational parties, entertainers, fancy dress hire, indoor and outdoor parties, party planners, and sport parties.  Whew!  It was a little overwhelming, but I knew our apartment is too small to host a party in, so I needed to find a location. Well, there is an art studio that offers kids art parties!  Perfect for Lily, my blooming artist!  We went for a visit to check it out today, and it's perfect!  Whew!  Now to get invitations out...





































No comments: